Wednesday, June 20, 2007

yet another picture post! and rest day number four


I'm still trying to figure out where we're going, or how to rotate photos 90 degrees so blogger will make them actually appear to be rotated 90 degrees


Our campsite on the grounds of SIU-Edwardsville at dusk


This is as close as I got to St. Louis immediately east of it. Also my last view of a major urban area (read: population > 100,000) until Pueblo, CO.


Crossing over the Mississippi outside of Chester, IL


A box turtle that wouldn't come out of its shell, so Andrew and I spirited it safely across the road.


The scenic overlook in the Ozarks and the penultimate climb out of the mountains


Ash Grove, MO: Railroad Town USA


James after his last ride before leaving. Because of his departure, he's disqualified from the beard-off leaving just mike, nick, and me


Time Out Pizza in Ash Grove, MO serves up a mean pineapple and canadian bacon pie. The Ash Grovers were very friendly and hospitable.


SeHee was fascinated by the farm equipment


This cow was the first thing we saw in Kansas, it was very mooooving. And I still can't rotate these photos.

Today I woke up in a pew in the Baptist Church, the pastor himself said it was a good place to sleep and it was, except I didn't have a pillow. I pretty much lounged around all day and finished off Mike's book about the Tour de France, about 160 pages of light reading. Breakfast was french toast and eggs and lunch was donated Subway sandwiches. I'm really loving this library, it's only a block away from the church, this computer has iTunes so I'm listening to NPR and everything that Ira Glass and Garrison Keillor has to say. Later we're going to a park to eat hot dogs courtesy of the Bible church. I guess I'm savoring this rest day above all others, we don't get another one until we reach Colorado a week from now, so in the meantime, flat land and endless fields of wheat. And hot dogs.

No comments: