Thursday, May 17, 2007

So how do you fit four bikes in the back of this van?

This is a problem that has plagued me for a few hours, but I found a solution after much tinkering. I guess I should also say that this is the transition from this blog being about Art and the class I took this spring to being about bikes in general and the Illini 4000 in specific thissummer. So hello, new audience. You're in for a world of adventure. Thank you for reading, I'll do my part to keep you informed and entertain. But first, an engineering conundrum.

My family's wonderful '96 Chrysler Town and Country has become our support vehicle this summer and has sprouted a quad of Yakima bike rails on its roof, soon to be six thanks to Amy and Clif's generosity. (Thank you guys!) So, if six can go on top, then only four need to go in the trunk if we're hauling ten bikes. The problem with putting bikes in the back is that sometimes the hatch won't close, especially with longer frames, bigger wheels, or taller handlebars. This is caused by the position of the middle-row seats. This is where they are when they're as far back as possible:


and this is what it looks like with bikes in the back:


compare that to this configuration, with the middle row seat moved up a mere six inches.





Well, you can't really see it, but the bikes aren't sticking out as much, plus you stick the bikes in rear-wheel first or handle-bar first. I figure that leg room comes at too high a premium at the expense of cargo room. That and the configuration is not static, it can be moved just as easily as I did tinkering around with it. And that's the support vehicle, it will be our life-line and carry all of our equipment so we don't have to!

We leave in a week!

No comments: