Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Argument reception, critique, and distribution notes

Success! My last project is finished and shown and I'm pretty much done with class. Which is bittersweet for its many reasons, but that's for another journal entry. I showed it with some unavoidable technical glitches, but the point went across the minds and hearts of my class mates. I distinct remember everyone laughing at appropriate parts, which surprised me. FARM BOT is serious business to me, or maybe the humor is just lost on me because I'm the one crafting the piece or if I put back-to-back all the times I've seen it while working on it, it would be longer than the Godfather Part 1 and 2 but not 3 because it's terrible. I remember telling people not to laugh! I guess FARM BOT is just naturally funny and brings joy to everyone, which in turn fills me with a lot joy. Mission accomplished. I achieved the truth and brought the people something they enjoy.

I wish I remember the critique a lot better, I'll just assume that someone said something about how the levels on Tom Abram's talking head were kinda low. Which I cranked up to 150 percent in post. Also it wasn't in a big room and wasn't mic'd. So there wasn't little I could do in post, but maybe in photography I could have done something. I remember people watching the video the second time around when I played it without sound, but they were too enraptured with catching the details I sprinkle into the movie so cleverly to give criticism. I really wish I could redo critiques.

I posted this on YouTube and 48 hours later it has 1024 views. I was hoping to get a thousand by friday, so this exceeded my expectations by far. I did a lot of promoting it on facebook, messaging all the members of the FARM BOT group and posting it and encouraging people who had seen it to encourage others to see it. I feel this will be instrumental to the movement. Because the whole reason for this film is not only to be an academic piece but to promote our cause. It has been successful to that end. I hope to have 2000 views after a week, but that's being optimistic I think. Because it's finals time for one thing and on the verge of summer for another, I think it's a little late to promote it beyond the internet venues, but the piece is written for the Internet and ART250, so I think it works.

UPDATE: Friday, May 4. It has over 2600 views. It was also mentioned on the local political blog IlliniPundit from which it was mentioned on RealClearPolitics, a nation-wide blog sponsored apparently by CNN/Time. I'm a little surprised. I guess my next goal is 4000 views, we'll see how that goes.

In the future though, there will have to be revisions to the film. Already I forgot to credit my friend Evan for being inside the costume and another person who came out to help build, but I don't remember him. And as for Evan, I don't want people to know it was him inside FARM BOT that Thursday, but I'm thinking the people who would care already know.

Oh well: here's the YouTube posting:

No comments: