Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Representing Production notes part 2 of probably this is it

Success! I had my interview with Paul Schmitt after many hours of phone tag and other uneventful anticipatory moments. He showed up to the Armory in a blue suit with an orange tie in true Illini fashion. He made it clear that he likes going here and its traditions. Except for maybe the fact that its traditions are being taken away. We started at 8 in what I claimed would only take an hour. We left the room we were interviewing in at 10. He had that much to say and to elaborate about, he really knew his stuff and was not nearly as nuts as people make him out to be.

Again, I was very transparent about my beliefs but kept them to a minimum, that is to say, a level of non-existence, and I found a lot of things we agreed on, as much as we could in a filming context wherein I am supposed to ask a question and shut up until it's been answered and was otherwise, very enlightening and engaging. He said a lot and this is going to be very difficult to pare down, given that I have his interview on two tapes and another tape of B-roll-worthy material. By the 60 minute mark, it began running in my mind that I should continue this issue for the next project. At least this means I can stop shooting and stop making production notes and start the editing process as soon as possible.

In specific, we spoke off the record about a few subjects that are potentially explosive and, well, very laden with heresay and conjecture that if I follow close enough, may turn out to be true. I won't say anything else about the manner, except that whether or not you like the Chief, you would care if you knew what I knew.

I was a little concerned about sound, I didn't use an external mic due to my previous experience and mistrust with the things, especially given the cinder-block and tile classroom that also happened to be located in the same hallway where a stepping set was practicing, but listening to the audio in the video lab gave me some confidence that you can hear what Paul was saying. So yay. I'm ready to edit tomorrow in class.

No comments: