Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Representing Production notes part 1 of many

I sent out an e-mail detailing my project to Paul Schmitt and got a positive response. However, he never followed up on my second e-mail, so I have to hunt him down or find another person of great authority and knowledge on the issue. Yesterday I interviewed Danielle Perlin and got some good responses out of her. A lot of what she said related to the fact that people will try to force their opinion on others in a manner that is either rude or condescending, and the lack of respect of one representitive of one side of the argument towards the other. She told me that she had a poster of the Chief stolen from her door anonymously and it was only returned after our RA intervened. What I percieve out of her interview is a lack of constructive dialogue or other respectful means of communication one's beliefs.

The interview process took longer than I thought. For one thing, it helps to know how much tape you have left. I ended up running out during a pivitol part of our conversation, that I made her redo with less extemporaneous effect. What I was going for was a level of spontaneity that underwrites an incredible amount of feeling and meaning in what the subject says. Also, I had to give her some coaching about doing an interview to edit. For one thing, it helps to pause before responding to questions, between main thoughts, and to phrase responses completely, as in "I think the sky is blue" rather than, "yes, I believe it's true" if I were to ask "Do you think the sky is blue?" Also the shotgun mics are unamplified so the signal is rather low, causing me to just use the camera mic. They take great sound for sure, but it would just be nice to get amplified levels out of them. Oh well. I think the project is going smoothly and I'll have a great finished product.

No comments: