Wednesday, February 7, 2007

In-class writing assignment: some sort of dream?

Some sort of dream:

The blue of the day broke upon my eyes like the splash of a stone in a sea under a somber september sky. It languished. I took a step. Another, in a similar fashion. I rose over a hill, mathematical in proportion and symmetry and imperfect in natural texture, a perfect green. My body, it receded towards this expanse and perfectly parallel, put itself there upon. Eyelids close. Head down, foaming at the mouth, the voice of God talks about MIPS and argues about register locations. Head turns, eyes close again, a vacuum. Stillness, silence, slender sillhouttes, simple shapes, formless wonderful exuberant excellent moment in and out of lecture sleeping deprived processes in c plus plus. My eyes contort and fight the light around outside, battling boredom's blight. I gasp a gaping gaffe and go goalwards. Stuttering steps I stride to the sight and fight the forces that fail. Me.

[I should note my inability to remember dreams very well, or at all. I do, however, remember a recurring motif in which I'm running, putting forth a lot of effort and am not making much progress, taking only short strides and feeling powerless and physically confined. That and I fall asleep in lecture and drift in and out of my professor's drone among random images that I have no neuropsychological reason for seeing (It could be short moments of REM sleep, it could not be)]

Some well-described shots:

Medium. Skewed angle. Lit from four sides, irregular intervals. Still camera. Chalk outline on dingy gray concrete. Blood splattered liberally except where outline would suggest a laying figure. Light rain or snow. Wet. Feet move around the edge of the frame, perhaps we see yellow caution tape. Man stoops down partially out of frame, visible photo flash.

A shot that renders the sensation without being literal:

Men in overcoats, taking notes, asking questions. Child and mother hold each other, while gently weeping. Uniformed man guiding crowd, telling some to move along.

No comments: